©This website and contents, copyright, 2004, by John Lynch
Who's Who of Crow Creek Valley
J. Carlton Lynch
Last Name: Lynch
Obituary, Winchester Herald-Chronicle
March 12, 2003
J. Carlton "Cotton" Lynch passed away on March 11 due to complications from Alzheimers disease. He was born on Jan. 9, 1914 in Sherwood, Tenn., the son of Walter and Esther Lynch.
He graduated from Webb School in Bell Buckle in 1933 and attended the University of the South. He began his career as a chemist at Gager Lime Company in Sherwood and worked in the chemical warfare service in Huntsville, Ala. during World War II. Following the war, he and his family returned to Sherwood, where he ran Bledsoe and Lynch Grocery until moving to Winchester in 1962 to open the Dari-Delite restaurant. In the late 1960s he was one of the first businessmen in Winchester to be granted a liquor license and he opened the Boulevard Liquor store. Later in his career he established a successful real estate business.
He served in the 1950s as a magistrate of the Franklin County Court. He was a member of several service and business organizations, and maintained an active interest in his community despite gradual blindness in the 1980s, due to macular degeneration.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Highland Rim Hospice or Trinity Episcopal Church in Winchester.